Tire Maintenance 101
Maintaining your vehicle’s tires is important for both safety and the longevity of the tires. Here are some tips for proper tire maintenance:
- Check the air pressure regularly: The air pressure in your tires should be checked at least once a month. Use a tire pressure gauge to ensure that the pressure matches the recommended pressure listed in your vehicle owner’s manual or on the tire itself.
- Rotate the tires: Tire rotation is necessary to ensure even wear on all four tires. Consult your owner’s manual or a professional mechanic to determine the recommended rotation pattern for your vehicle.
- Keep the tires balanced: An unbalanced tire can cause vibrations that can be felt in the steering wheel or throughout the vehicle. Have your tires balanced when they are rotated or if you feel vibrations while driving.
- Check the tread depth: The minimum tread depth for safe driving is 2/32 of an inch. Use a tread depth gauge to check the depth of the tread. If it’s less than 2/32 of an inch or if there is uneven wear, it’s time to replace your tires.
- Age: Even if your tires appear to be in good condition, they should be replaced after 6 years. This is because the rubber in tires deteriorates over time, even if the tires are not used frequently.
- Inspect the tires for damage: Regularly inspect your tires for any cuts, punctures, or bulges. If you notice any damage, have your tires inspected by a professional for repairs or replacement of your tires.
- Avoid overloading your vehicle: Overloading your vehicle can cause excessive wear on your tires, which can lead to premature failure. Make sure you are not exceeding the vehicle’s recommended weight capacity.
- Drive carefully: Avoid sudden stops, starts, and sharp turns. These actions can cause excessive wear on your tires and shorten their lifespan.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your tires last as long as possible and that you stay safe on the road. In any circumstances where you are unsure if your tires need inspected, repaired, or replaced, call our professionals here at Diehl Kia of Hermitage to schedule an appointment! Also, take advantage of our alignment special until May 31, 2023!